Today on the show we’re kicking off the most wonderful time of year for deer hunters, the rut! And joining us is Field & Stream whitetail expert Scott Bestul. This is going to be a great show, so enjoy and then get out in the woods!
To listen to the podcast, click the Play button in the orange bar above or click the links below to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or Stitcher radio. Finally, if you’re enjoying the podcast – please leave us a review on iTunes. It would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
– How the hunting has been so far for Scott, Dan and I
– How Scott Bestul uses trail cameras during the rut
– Thoughts on when and how you can take advantage of scrapes
– Advice on how to hunt the early phases of the rut versus later phases
– Tips on hunting funnels and pinch points, both in hilly terrain and flat
– How to hunt near food sources and when to do it during the rut
– Thoughts on how bucks use the wind during the rut and how to set up properly to take advantage of it
– How to hunt bedding areas during the rut
– Extensive tips on how to call and rattle at this time of year
– Scott’s thoughts on the timing of the rut and the intensity of daylight rutting activity
– More insight into how the moon impacts deer movement
– Tips for making mock scrapes
– Scott’s thoughts on using synthetic scents, cover scent and scent control
– Advice on using decoys during the rut
– The importance of patience and mental toughness during the rut
– What NOT to do during the rut
– And much, much more!
Show Notes, Resources, Links:
– For more great rut hunting advice and insight, check out the Rules of the Rut 2.0. Included in this package are two information packed eBooks and a 3-part podcast series with nearly three hours of expert interviews. The contributors to these books and podcasts are some of the most accomplished whitetail hunters in the country and you’ll likely recognize their names from Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, North American Whitetail, Deer & Deer Hunting and a number of acclaimed books.
– Follow along with Dan’s hunts during the rut at The Nine Finger Chronicles
– If you haven’t yet, head to our podcast page to listen to our other episodes
– And be sure to enter your email in the gray box below to sign up for our newsletter and to get our guide to the “Top 10 Must Have Resources for the Whitetail Addict” for FREE!
Enjoy this podcast today? Please share it with your fellow huntin buddies!