Today on the show we are joined by a conservation icon, Shane Mahoney, and we’ll be discussing the history and future of hunting in North America. Also, if you’d like to skip our pre-guest ramblings, fast-forward from 2:50 up to 12:50.
To listen to the podcast, click the Play button in the orange bar above or click the links below to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or Stitcher radio. Finally, if you’re enjoying the podcast – please leave us a review on iTunes. It would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
– Who Shane Mahoney is
– How hunting has helped make us who we are as humans today
– Is hunting still necessary in a world where we already have domesticated animals for food?
– The impact of the wild harvest of fish and game across the world
– What the “Wild Harvest Initiative” is and how it aims to protect wild places and animals and our ability to hunt them
– How hunter-conservationists spurred the modern conservation movement and rescued North America’s wildlife from near extirpation
– The responsibility we have as hunters to continue in the footsteps of our conservationist fore-fathers
– What we individual hunters can do to promote hunting and conservation
– The importance of properly presenting ourselves and our hunting tradition to the non-hunting public and how we might be failing in some ways today
– The dangers of “trophy hunting” or at least the public’s perception of trophy hunting
– Advice for speaking to non-hunters about hunting, trophy hunting and conservation
– Thoughts on why we hunt
– And much, much more!
Show notes, resources, links:
– To learn more about Shane Mahoney, visit ConservationVisions.com
– If you’d like to learn more about Redneck Hay Bale Blinds, click here, and use promo code WIRED to get $200 off your purchase of a Sportsman Hay Bale Blind
– Visit WiredToHunt.com/holiday to enter of Holiday Sweepstakes! Make sure you listen to the end of this episode to get the code phrase needed to enter the sweepstakes!
– To check out our new podcast, Whitetail Q&A, search for it on iTunes or visit WiredToHunt.com/Whitetailqa
– To learn more about about our podcast sponsor Sitka Gear, visit their website here and check out their new line of whitetail gear for 2015.
– If you haven’t yet, head to our podcast page to listen to our other episodes
– And be sure to enter your email in the gray box below to sign up for our newsletter and to get our “Whitetail Addict’s Monthly To-Do Checklist” for FREE!