Today on the show we are joined by map making expert Ben Harshyne to discuss exactly how maps can make you a better deer hunter.
To listen to the podcast, click the Play button in the orange bar above or click the links below to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or Stitcher radio. Finally, if you’re enjoying the podcast – please leave us a review on iTunes. It would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
– Who Ben Harshyne is and how he became a map making guru
– How Ben’s first hunting season in Iowa went
– What terminology hunters need to understand to best utilize maps
– The differences between how you use aerial vs topo maps
– High level thoughts on how to use a map as a hunter and how macro vs micro views are important to consider
– What to look for on maps when it comes to funnels and how to use them
– The importance of edge
– How to identify saddles, ridgelines, benches, draws, ditches, swales and much more on maps
– How deer use all the features listed above and how we as hunters can use that information to properly place our stands
– And much, much more!
Show notes, resources, links:
– To learn more about the maps Ben is making at Hunterra, visit Hunterra.com
– To check out our new podcast, Whitetail Q&A, search for it on iTunes or visit WiredToHunt.com/Whitetailqa
– To learn more about our sponsor of this podcast episode, Trophy Ridge, visit TrophyRidge.com
– To learn more about about our podcast sponsor Sitka Gear, visit their website here and check out their new line of whitetail gear for 2015.
– If you haven’t yet, head to our podcast page to listen to our other episodes
– And be sure to enter your email in the gray box below to sign up for our newsletter and to get our “Whitetail Addict’s Monthly To-Do Checklist” for FREE!