Today on the show we’re joined by a super successful DIY public land deer hunter known by some as the “The Professor,” Joe Elsinger. And Joe is bringing us deep into his tactics and philosophies for targeting mature bucks on public and heavily pressured properties. This, in my opinion, is one of the most interesting and helpful interviews we’ve recorded in a long time. So enjoy!
To listen to the podcast, click the Play button in the orange bar above or click the links below to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or Stitcher radio. Finally, if you’re enjoying the podcast – please leave us a review on iTunes. It would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
– Dan’s “access route” planning day
– The latest on our cross-country public land adventure
– The plan for my upcoming black bear hunt
– Who is Joe Elsinger
– What types of places Joe hunts and how he approached the hunting season
– The most important elements of scouting for whitetail bucks
– The importance of understanding annual patterns
– What you can learn from deer tracks
– Understanding when to strike versus when to scout or wait
– The importance of thorough pre-season preparation
– How Joe identifies the bucks he wants to hunt and puts together a plan for them
– How to safely use trail cameras to ensure optimal accumulation of data, but without spooking deer
– Specific examples of how Joe patterns and moves in to hunt specific bucks
– The conditions and external factors that impact deer movement that Joe uses when making decisions
– How bucks bed and use wind when moving and bedding, and how to identify buck beds
– Where to find big bucks on public land
– How to hunt on windy days
– Joe’s specific advice for one thing Dan should change about his hunting strategy and one thing for me
– And much, much more!
Show notes, resources, links:
– To learn more about Sitka Gear, visit their website here.
– To learn more about Gabe Adair and the properties he has listed with Whitetail Properties, click this link
– To see photos of some of Joe’s bucks and to read more about his tactics read our Q&A with him here
– If you haven’t yet, head to our podcast page to listen to our other episodes
– And be sure to enter your email in the gray box below to sign up for our newsletter and to get our “Whitetail Addict’s Monthly To-Do Checklist” for FREE!