Today on the show we are joined by Marcus Lashley , a wildlife biologist and assistant professor at Mississippi State University. And in this conversation we discuss a wide variety of topics related to whitetail deer habitat, “mineral stumps,” predator impacts, the moon’s potential impact on deer and more.
(If you’d like to skip our intro and get right to our interview with Marcus, skip to 13:50)
To listen to the podcast, click the Play button in the orange bar above or click the links below to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or Stitcher radio. Finally, if you’re enjoying the podcast – please leave us a review on iTunes. It would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
– A big buck sighting in Michigan!
– How many latest summer prep and scouting efforts have been going
– Dan’s update on his September elk trip and November rut hunting plans
– Who Marcus Lashley is and how he got to where he is today
– “Indirect effects” in the whitetail world – what that means and why it’s so interesting
– The benefits of fire in the whitetail world and how we can utilize fire as managers
– How to fill gaps in the whitetail’s nutritional calendar
– How food plots can supplement native vegetation best
– What is a “mineral stump” and how they can be used to increase nutrition available on your property
– How to use “mineral stumps” to improve tree stand locations
– Food plot recommendations
– What habitat work you can use to improve habitat during drought conditions
– What’s more important food or cover?
– What Marcus’ research has shown him about the impact of coyotes on fawn recruitment and how to deal with coyote impacts
– Marcus’ research related to the moon and what impact it may or may not have on deer movement
– The benefits of micro-monitoring the oaks on your property
-And much, much more!
Show notes, resources, links:
– To learn more about Sitka Gear, visit their website here.
– To learn more about Whitetail Properties, click this link
– To learn more about Marcus and the work being done at MSU’s DeerLab, click here
– If you haven’t yet, head to our podcast page to listen to our other episodes
– And be sure to enter your email in the gray box below to sign up for our newsletter and to get our “Whitetail Addict’s Monthly To-Do Checklist” for FREE!