Today on the show we are joined by Bronson Strickland and Carter Neimeyer to discuss the impacts of and dynamics between wolves, coyotes, prey populations and hunters.
To listen to the podcast, click the Play button in the orange bar above or click the links below to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or Stitcher radio. Finally, if you’re enjoying the podcast – please leave us a review on iTunes. It would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
– Why we’re talking about coyotes and wolves
– A very quick natural history of the dynamics between coyotes, wolves and human hunters
– What kind of research has been done on coyote and deer impacts and how those studies are conducted
– What the real impact of coyotes are on deer and how it differs from situation to situation
– Why fawn recruitment matters and how predators impact it
– How to tell whether or not you have a “predator challenge” where you deer hunt
– Can predators play a positive role for an ecosystem and deer hunters?
– What deer do to minimize predation
– How habitat impacts coyote predation on deer
– What levers can we pull to influence coyote impacts on a deer herd
– How effective is predator management on a property and what are the alternatives
– What birth synchrony is
– The ethics of hunters and predator dynamics
– Who Carter Neimeyer is and how he got involved with predators
– What “wildlife services” does
– How Carter got pulled into the wolf reintroduction effort
– How to determine if a dead animal was actually killed by a wolf or not
– How wolves have impacted humans and other wildlife around them
– How animosity towards the federal government became intertwined with predators
– Do hunters needs to worry about wolf impacts?
– How can we hunters live with predators
– Carter Neimeyer’s experiences killing predators
– How hunters can practice better PR when it comes to our PR
-And much, much more!
Show notes, resources, links:
– To learn more about Whitetail Properties, click this link
– If you haven’t yet, head to our podcast page to listen to our other episodes
– And be sure to enter your email in the gray box below to sign up for our newsletter and to get our “Whitetail Addict’s Monthly To-Do Checklist” for FREE!