Thanksgiving Day was a little more special than usual for Wired To Hunt reader Jason Carney last year, as he had a successful hunt to be thankful for that morning. Read on for Jason’s story of this late November whitetail hunt! Congrats Jason! – MK

“It was about 9:00 A.M. and I had just watched a 1 1/2 year old 6 point skirt by behind me at about 30 yards almost undetected due to the rain we had days prior. About 10 minutes later I saw this buck. He was walking away from me and appeared to be going out of the area. My first reaction was to grab my binoculars so I could get a better look at him before he was gone. When I turned back, he was no where to be found. I thought “crap he’s gone” and, in my mind, he was most surely a giant. Lol! So I’m scanning around trying find him when I put my binoculars down and at about 30 yards in front of me, there he was.

His rack wasn’t quiet as big as I hoped but he had a decent size body. I decided I was going to take him so I grabbed my bow and got ready for the shot. He’s walking down the hill towards me and if he kept coming he’d pass my stand giving me a 10 yard quartering away shot but the double tree I was in was going to make it tough to get my bow into position. All of this analyzing  is taking place in a matter of 30 seconds or so and by now he’s slightly quartering to me at about 15 yards away and I was starting to draw my bow.

As I shot I saw the arrow hit a little high and back and as he ran up the hill away from me I could see most of the arrow sticking out of him. I couldn’t get that normal “fist pumping” excited feeling I usually get when I shoot a deer, instead I just sat back down and started replaying the shot and the deers reaction in my head. As best as I could tell, I may have gotten lucky and caught part of the lungs and maybe the liver. I knew if it was just a straight gut shot the arrow would have blown right through it, my arrow only got half penetration at best.

I waited for about an hour before I got down and checked for blood. It didn’t take long before I started finding some. It definitely had bubbles in it which made me feel a little bit better, but the blood trail started to fizzle out pretty quick so I decided to back out and give it a little more time. I went back home and by now, my wife was just putting the turkey in the oven for dinner. Family wasn’t going to be there for a few hours so she grabbed her boots and we were on our way to try and pick the trail back up. My wife loves to hunt and when it comes to blood trailing she can hang with anybody (maybe cause she’s so low to the ground!) With her help it wasn’t long before we picked the trail back up and within another 100 yards, I was looking at my buck.

Let the celebrating begin! I gave my wife a big hug and we both were grinning so big we could have eaten a banana sideways!! This was by far one of the most uneventful bow seasons I’ve had in a long time. I’ve been bow hunting for 26 years and have had a lot of success over the years, but the way it all came together on Thanksgiving morning is something I’ll never forget.” – Jason