Wired To Hunt reader Scott Clarke braved the long deer season and winter elements this past December and was rewarded handsomely for it. Today he shares his exciting tale of a December 7th big buck fight, followed by an arrow flying through the air. Please join me in congratulating Scott on an awesome buck! – MK

By Scott Clarke

It was Sunday December 7th, the final day of our last gun hunt in Southern Ontario and here I was with three weeks to fill a tag with my bow. As most will agree, the late season can be tough to tag a nice buck, as they’ve been chased and shot at for basically two months. I actually had plans to hunt a certain property until I find out it had been hammered by gangs the previous week, so this left me not quite sure where to go.

Scouring topo maps of properties I have permission to hunt, I decided on a large hardwoods and cedar swamp area. Lots of other guys also hunt this property but there is no gun hunting allowed, so I was hoping it may have become a sanctuary. Monday afternoon I packed up my Lone wolf climber and Elite energy bow, and headed out into the swamp. After a 45 minute walk I set up about 100 yards from a thick area in the swamp.  I was in a good transition spot where the deer would funnel from the thicker area past me to winter wheat fields, avoiding the standing swampy water.

About and hour after being set up I saw a doe, fawn and a button buck.  They milled around for awhile and then the doe saw something she didn’t like and bounded off, taking her fawns with her. I then saw a small buck six point and proceeded to grunt him to my tree. After he finally wandered off I was wondering if I should have shot him and called it a season, then I heard the unmistakable sound of two bucks fighting. I could see two great bucks just hammering on each other and a doe nearby.  I started grunting to get the bucks’ attention but it was so windy they couldn’t hear me. I had to blow so hard into my grunt tube to the point it quacked out, but the bigger buck finally looked up in my direction.  I then mouth snort wheezed at him and watched his ears drop down and back, that pissed him off.  Both bucks started walking my way as shooting light faded.

With about five minutes left of shooting light both bucks were within 40 yards. I looked at both deer, one a narrow but tall heavy eight pointer and a wider and more dominant eight pointer. The wider buck was standing just shy of 30 yards broadside and I decided it was either now or never. I drew back my E32 gave him a “maaaaa”  so he would freeze and anchored just off his shoulder. I don’t even remember touching my release,  just watching my Nockturnal fly straight to the buck and then slam into the deer. Crack!



I could see the buck take off running with my arrow sticking out of its side and saw the red lighted nock bouncing up and down, then crash it disappeared. I climbed down and went to the impact sight and there my heart sank.  I found half of one of the blades off my Rage Extreme lying on the ground. No blood, but I decided to walk the direction I saw the buck run. I only went maybe 40 yards from the shot sight  and there lay my buck.  He was a main frame eight point with a crab claw giving him nine scoreable points. Turns out I made a perfect shot, double lung with a pass thru. I’m guessing I hit the off shoulder which was the crack and broke the blade off. What a great way to end my season!

– Scott Clarke