Today on the show we are joined by one of the most successful DIY deer hunters in my home state of Michigan and across the country, John Eberhart. And in this episode, we diver deeper than ever into his secrets for hunting tough-to-kill big bucks. This is one you don’t want to miss.
To listen to the podcast, click the Play button in the orange bar above or click the links below to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or Stitcher radio. Finally, if you’re enjoying the podcast – please leave us a review on iTunes. It would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
– Who John Eberhart is and how he got to the point of being able to kill mature bucks with a bow
– Was it easier to hunt mature bucks in past decades ago?
– How to join John for his new whitetail workshop events
– What kind of work John is doing during the summer to get ready for the upcoming season
– How John conducts “speed tours” of his properties in late summer
– How John scouts and preps trees before hunting season
– What John thinks about when picking the “right tree”
– Ideal early season locations
– Mid-October hunting strategies
– The benefits of hunting around standing corn and how to take advantage of it
– Thoughts on the importance of access and exit routes
– Why John does not hunt “rut staging areas” any longer
– How John specifically sets up within bedding areas during the rut
– Where deer bed in areas of heavy hunting pressure
– How cold fronts, pressure or moon phase factor into how John hunts
– John’s favorite 3 days of the year to hunt
– How John killed two 140 class bucks in Michigan in 2016
– How often John hunts a single area before moving on
– How John hunts differently when traveling to less pressured states like Kansas or Iowa
– Trail camera strategies for short DIY out-of-state trips
-And much, much more!
Show notes, resources, links:
– To learn more about Sitka Gear, visit their website here.
– To learn more about Whitetail Properties, click this link
– To learn more about John Eberhart, his workshops or books, click here
– If you haven’t yet, head to our podcast page to listen to our other episodes
– And be sure to enter your email in the gray box below to sign up for our newsletter and to get our “Whitetail Addict’s Monthly To-Do Checklist” for FREE!